The Children’s Movement Summer Outreach Fellow
Children Now is a nonpartisan umbrella research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health, education and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a grassroots network of more than 3,000 business, education, parent, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org.
College and graduate students are invited to apply to be Summer Outreach Fellows for The Children’s Movement. Fellows will support the growth of The Children’s Movement by recruiting groups statewide to join our pro‐kid network and engaging current members to advocate for kids by supporting legislative and state budget advocacy efforts. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in learning more about communications, outreach, advocacy campaigns, public policymaking, and network growth.
The Fellows will work in either the Oakland or Los Angeles offices, and will report to the Director of The Children’s Movement. Fellows will work approximately 30 hours per week for about 8 weeks over the summer. Fellows will be paid $15 per hour.
- Recruiting groups across the state, primarily through online research and email and phone outreach to join The Children’s Movement
- Doing outreach to local groups in support of Children Now’s efforts to advance state policy for kids
- Perform data‐cleaning and list‐building in excel/google sheets to help manage member data and generate new prospective TCM member leads
- Increasing the diversity of Movement members to represent more of California’s kids
- Mobilizing existing TCM members, via phone and email, to support advocacy campaigns
- Updating TCM member records and data using Google Drive, Office, and Salesforce
The Fellows will work closely with the Children’s Movement team, but will manage their projects independently, exercising good judgment, organizational expertise, problem‐solving skills, and time management.
Desired Skills and Experience
- A commitment to improving the well-being of CA’s children and removing racial and other inequities that limit children’s opportunities to reach their full potential.
- Interest or experience in children’s advocacy, policy change, and coalition building.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong analytic, organization and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Preferably a college or graduate student in Public Health, Education, Public Policy/Administration, Political Science, or related field.
Please electronically submit a cover letter discussing your interest and experience (approx. 1 page) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name in the file name for all documents (e.g. g.smith – resume).
Applications are due February 15.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.