The Children’s Movement Equity Fellowship Program
Children Now is a nonpartisan whole-child research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health, education and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a unique network of more than 3,500 business, education, parent, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org, including its core organizational values.
College students are invited to apply to be a Children’s Movement Equity Fellow. Fellows will support the growth of The Children’s Movement by recruiting groups statewide to join our pro-kid network and engaging current members to advocate for kids by supporting legislative and state budget advocacy efforts. Fellows will gain experience in data-driven on-line and phone recruiting and advocacy campaigns, while also learning about how The Children’s Movement supports statewide advocacy. With opportunities to shadow policy experts and learn about various children’s issues such as health, education and child welfare, this fellowship is also an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in establishing and expanding their network with leading child policy experts and learning about public policymaking, outreach, advocacy, communications, and nonprofit organizations.
Fellows will work in either the Oakland or Los Angeles offices. Fellows will work approximately 30 hours per week for about 8 weeks over the summer. Fellows will be paid $16 per hour.
Possible projects include:
- Recruiting groups across the state, primarily through online research, email and phone outreach to join The Children’s Movement.
- Doing outreach to local groups in support of Children Now’s efforts to advance state policy for kids.
- Mobilizing existing Children’s Movement members, via phone and email, to support advocacy campaigns.
- Ensuring the diversity of Movement members to address the needs of all of California’s kids, particularly those affected by racism and other forms of prejudice.
- Perform data-cleaning and list-building in Excel/Google sheets to help manage member data and generate new prospective Children’s Movement member leads.
- Updating The Children’s Movement member records and data using Google Drive, Office, and Salesforce.
- Canvassing neighborhoods in the Bay Area and Los Angeles to recruit local businesses, non-profit organizations and other groups to join The Children’s Movement.
The Fellows will work closely with The Children’s Movement team, but will manage their projects independently, exercising good judgment, organizational expertise, problem-solving skills, and time management.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Interest or experience in children’s advocacy, policy change, and coalition building;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Strong analytic, organization and project management skills;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team; and
- Preferably a college student in Public Health, Education, Public Policy/Administration, Political Science, or related field.
Please electronically submit a cover letter discussing your interest and experience (approx. 1 page) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name in the file name for all documents (e.g. g.smith – resume).
Applications are due March 9th, 2020.
We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity, equity and inclusion. Children Now values diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing our work and views diversity as including differences in race, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran status, job skills, education, and geographic location and any other category protected by law. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.