Coordinator, Human Resources and Operations
Children Now is a nonpartisan whole-child research, policy development and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health, education, and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a unique network of more than 4,600 parent, youth, business, labor, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at http://www.childrennow.org including about Children Now’s core organizational values.
About the Role
Children Now is seeking a highly organized Coordinator of Human Resources and Operations who will work closely with and assist the Director, People & Operations in supporting the employee experience and providing general Operational support to the organization. The Coordinator will also work closely and in collaboration with the Director of Finance and Associate Director of Operations, to ensure the smooth running of the organization’s operational and financial needs, including facilities management, technology, COVID safety and legal and compliance work.
A successful candidate will be able to manage a variety of issues at once, often changing from one task or project to another of a different nature, based on priorities. They should have a versatile skill set, including excellent organization, communication, and analytical skills, to support a variety of different organizational functions. This position is ideal for someone interested in nonprofit operations, who enjoys learning and direct implementation of organizational policies and procedures. The ideal candidate is positive, has a strong work ethic and shares our deep commitment to racial equity and Children Now’s mission. While candidates may have strength and experience in certain areas outlined below and less skill or experience in others, the expectation is that one is open and willing to learn and develop skills to address gaps. This position will be in our Oakland, CA office and will report to the Director, People & Operations.
Primary Responsibilities – Human Resources
- Serve as the first point of contact in coordinating the range of employee lifecycle matters, including but not limited to recruitment, new hire setup and orientation, on-boarding, leaves of absence, status changes, and separations.
- Support compliance with HR-related Children Now policies and procedures and state-and federal-specific labor laws.
- Enter and maintain employee data across HR systems including new hires, terminations, organization structure changes and job changes.
- Coordinate staff and supervisor trainings, race equity trainings and other professional development staff support.
- Participate in racial equity related trainings, events, and conferences as needed to ensure continual learning and practical application of knowledge of racial equity practices to implement in HR and operations.
- Acts as a liaison between the organization and external benefits providers and vendors, which may include health, flexible spending, and retirement plan providers.
- Assist with maintaining and revising the company’s handbook on policies and procedures.
- Other duties as needed and appropriate.
Primary Responsibilities – Operations and Finance
- Coordinate facility repairs and improvements with property managers as needed.
- Manage office supplies and the tracking and maintenance of office and IT equipment and equipment leases.
- Coordinate and support employee needs such as equipment and office setup.
- Keep the physical office organized, clearing out equipment and files as needed, while adhering to the organization’s document retention policies.
- Serve as the office’s primary focal point for IT and communications infrastructure, hardware, and software matters.
- Assist and coordinate all technology management, including asset management, process improvement, upgrades, and IT trainings.
- Educate staff about new and current trends in tech that will help staff be efficient and resourceful.
- Work with vendors to address any internet or telecommunications service disruptions, liaising with local internet and telecommunications service providers.
- Working in collaboration with the Associate Director of Operations, plan and organize events, retreats, special meetings, compliance trainings, and other employee engagement activities.
- Prepare and maintain annual compliance documents and reports and assist the Manager and Associate Director of Operations with tracking and managing a range of legal and compliance activities.
- Serve as the office’s primary focal point for day-to-day safety and security matters and coordinate immediate incident management, including working with outside safety agencies as needed.
- Assist with COVID-related issues and ensure the organization is in compliance with the organization’s plan and policy.
- Serve as a member of the safety committee to assist with facilities emergency evacuation plans/procedures.
- Manage data, records, and reports by checking for errors and verifying accuracy of information.
- Assisting staff in the Finance Team with any other duties as required, including the upkeep of electronic records and filings.
- Support and provide back-up on the bi-weekly payroll process.
- Support the finance and operations department with daily operations by doing administrative and clerical tasks as needed.
- Assist with other projects as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Three years demonstrated record of success in managing and improving the daily administrative functions of an organization.
- At least one to three years of non-profit human resource administration experience preferred.
- At least one to two years of experience working in accounting and bookkeeping preferred.
- Highly organized self-starter with demonstrated problem-solving and follow-through ability, and proven success in managing multiple and diverse priorities under pressure.
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications.
- Highly proficient and knowledgeable with technology, equipment, and software, specifically Microsoft Office 365, Ease Central, and Airtable. Knowledge of QuickBooks and ADP Workforce preferred.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality standards, both internal and external, with regards to all personnel related information.
- Strong relationship-building skills with the ability to manage effective working relationships in a vibrant, diverse, and multicultural environment.
- Ability to lift 15 pounds at a time.
- Ability to be able to move and rearrange light furniture.
- Ability to be able to set up office technology by occasionally requiring positioning under desks and dexterity to attach wires and cables.
- Ability to travel to Children Now’s Sacramento office as needed.
Please complete the online application form located here. All applicants must attach the following as part of their online application: 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) two-to-three-page writing sample, and 4) three to five references (including former supervisors). Please submit attachments in PDF or Microsoft Word format only.
Children Now COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of our employees is our number one priority. Thus, Children Now has implemented a COVID-19 vaccination policy covering all employees. To be compliant with this policy, all new staff members shall be required to provide proof of their vaccine status at the start of their employment, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity, equity and inclusion. Children Now values diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing our work and views diversity as including differences in race, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran status, job skills, education, and geographic location and any other category protected by law. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.