Finance Assistant - Part Time
Children Now is a nonpartisan umbrella research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children's health, education and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a grassroots network of more than 1,900 business, education, parent, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org.
We are seeking a highly-motivated, self-starting, detail-oriented, and experienced individual to serve as our part-time Finance Assistant. This position supports the administrative needs of our Senior Director of Finance, handles routine financial and accounting processes and systems for the organization, and provides some general administrative assistance for our Oakland office. This position is designed for someone with experience in bookkeeping and finance who thrives in a fast-paced, team–oriented environment. This non-exempt, seventy–five percent time position, which might provide an opportunity for full-time employment in the future, is located in our Oakland office and reports to the Senior Director of Finance.
Ideal applicants will be fast learners and able to handle a high volume of work quickly and efficiently with superior attention to detail. Candidates should have strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, and excellent judgment and work ethic. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys learning and contributing in a fast-paced environment, as well as a deep commitment to racial equity and Children Now’s mission.
- Manage accounts payable and receivable;
- Provide support in preparing monthly and annual schedules;
- Assist with financial reporting requirements and audit;
- Prepare and process bi-weekly payroll;
- Manage expense reports and time reporting;
- Reconcile bank statements;
- Provide support in annual budget creation;
- Maintain confidentiality of organization’s financial information;
- Organize and maintain electronic and paper database and filing systems;
- Assist with accounting procedure and documentation;
- Provide general administrative support, such as answering phones and providing reception, as needed; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Three to five years’ experience in bookkeeping or accounting, with knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, focused on the non-profit sector;
- Experience with accounting systems including QuickBooks and Intacct;
- ADP payroll experience desired;
- High-level efficiency and attention to detail;
- Ability to learn quickly and a commitment to quality work;
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint); and
- Able to work effectively with others in a vibrant, diverse and multicultural environment.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Applications must include 1) cover letter, 2) resume and 3) three to five professional references. Prospective employees may be subject to a background check as a condition of employment. Please send and address all correspondence to:
Attn: Bookkeeper Position Search
1404 Franklin Street, Suite 700
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail applications with attachments in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. Please include your name in the file name for all documents (e.g., b.williams – resume). We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.