Jobs, Associate, Education Policy, October 28, 2013
Education Policy Associate (Sacramento)
Children Now is the leading, nonpartisan umbrella research, policy development and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health and education in California and creating national media policies that support children’s development. The organization also leads The Children’s Movement of California. For more information about Children Now, please go to our web site (http://www.childrennow.org).
We are seeking a highly-motivated Education Policy Associate to support Children Now’s efforts to improve California’s education and health policies for children. This position will focus on education issues, including school finance, early learning and development, expanded learning time and linked learning and will have a particular emphasis on local outreach, the support of a professional learning community, and coordination and collaboration with local districts and community based organizations. The Associate may also assist with K-12 educational issues as they intersect with children’s health policy (for example, school based health). The Associate will also support the organization’s development and fundraising goals through grant writing, reporting and other outreach and will contribute to the expansion of The Children’s Movement. This position will report to the Senior Director of Education and work in our Sacramento office with work travel required.
Ideal applicants have district-level K-12 education experience, excellent written and oral communication skills and outstanding relationship building abilities. Applicants should be adept at synthesizing large amounts of information and articulating clear policy objectives that resonate with a range of audiences and stakeholders. The ideal applicant is also highly motivated, flexible, solution-oriented and a skilled project manager who can work both collaboratively as part of a team and independently with little supervision.
- Under the primary supervision of the Senior Director of Education, develop, implement, and support Children Now’s K-12 scope of work;
- Manage specific policy projects, including contributing to project planning and strategy and ensuring execution of deliverables;
- Support the policy, research and development teams in identifying and capturing strategies to raise awareness of the organization and particular issue areas, with an emphasis on education, and develop messaging materials based on those strategies;
- Coordinate and help to develop compelling presentation materials including PowerPoint presentations and handouts;
- Travel throughout California with a focus on supporting partners as they work to implement California’s new school finance law, the Local Control Funding Formula.
- Build and support community coalitions, identify local champions/stakeholders and convene coalition partners as needed;
- Represent the organization effectively, engaging individuals and organizations and building strong relationships with partners, advocates, policymakers, consultants, and other stakeholders;
- Support the facilitation of a professional learning community, in concert with partners, focused on documenting and promoting innovative practices that effectively integrate Linked Learning pathways and Expanded Learning Time approaches;
- Write grant reports and project updates, write or otherwise contribute significantly to proposal development, and support relationship management with funders;
- Write policy briefs and fact sheets, and assist with the production and distribution of publications;
- Track legislation, policy developments, and research related to Children Now’s issue areas;
- Contribute to the organization’s outreach efforts, including expansion of The Children’s Movement;
- Assist in data gathering and analysis, and conduct literature reviews and research various topics using academic, on-line and other resources;
- Work closely with the marketing and operations and research departments to support the communications, development, research and administrative needs of the organization; and
- Conduct other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years district level K-12 experience or other relevant experience;
- Substantive knowledge of local K-12 education policy and practice in California;
- Excellent relationship-building skills with the ability to manage effective working relationships with colleagues, policymakers, partners, stakeholders, funders, the media and others;
- Demonstrated high-level skill at project management with highly organized processes and detail orientation;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Strong legislative, political, and or budget analysis skills;
- Non profit development and grant-writing experience preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree in public policy or related field preferred; and
- Knowledge of MS Office with strong word processing, Excel, database, and internet research skills.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
To Apply: Applications must include 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) writing sample (no more than 6 pages; excerpts are fine), and 4) three to five references. Please send and address all correspondence to:
Attn: Education Policy Associate Position Search
1404 Franklin Street, Suite 700
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail applications with attachments in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.