POLICY ASSOCIATE, EARLY LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT, HEALTH-FOCUS (Oakland)
Children Now is a leading nonpartisan, umbrella, research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health and education in California and creating national media policies that support children’s development. The organization also leads the Children’s Movement of California. For more information about Children Now, please go to our website (http://www.childrennow.org).
We are seeking a highly-skilled, detail-oriented and self-motivated Policy Associate to support Children Now’s ongoing advocacy efforts to improve California’s health, education and media policies for young children (birth to eight) and their families. This position will focus primarily on advocating for policies that strengthen state and local investments in early childhood health areas including expanding voluntary home visiting programs, promoting universal developmental screenings and ensuring services to young children with developmental delays, improving young children’s oral health, and increasing early childhood mental health services. The Associate will also assist with other early learning and development policy efforts, including promoting increased investments in quality early learning programs.
Successful candidates will have an exceptional work ethic, an optimistic outlook and ability to find solutions in complex and challenging political and social environments, an ability to balance multiple projects and prioritize deliverables, and good judgment in working with colleagues and partner organizations. We prefer this position to be based in our Oakland office, but Sacramento office applicants may be considered. This position requires travel between Oakland, Sacramento and Los Angeles offices and to meetings, as necessary.
- Under the primary supervision of the Director of Early Learning and Development, develop, implement, and support Children Now’s early learning and development scope of work;
- Manage specific policy projects, including contributing to project planning and strategy and ensuring execution of deliverables;
- Build and support coalition development via The Children’s Movement and other efforts and convene coalition partners as needed;
- Write grant reports and updates, write or otherwise contribute significantly to proposal development, and support relationship management with funders;
- Write policy briefs and fact sheets, and assist with the production and distribution of publications; and
- Conduct other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of three to five years early childhood health policy experience that includes home visiting, early intervention, and/or mental health policy;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including non-profit development and grant-writing experience;
- Demonstrated high-level skill and effectiveness at project management;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to develop strong and effective working relationships with diverse and multi-cultural constituencies including Children Now staff, policymakers, the media, and others;
- Knowledge of MS Office with strong word processing, Excel, database, and internet research skills; and
- Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree preferred.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Applications must include 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) writing sample (no more than 6 pages; excerpts are fine), and 4) three to five references. Please send and address all correspondence to:
Attn: Early Learning and Development Position Search
1404 Franklin Street, Suite 700
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail applications with attachments in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity.