Development and Policy Communications Manager
Children Now is the leading nonpartisan research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health and education in California and creating national media policies that support child development. The organization also leads The Children’s Movement of California. For more information about Children Now, please go to our web site (http://www.childrennow.org).
We are seeking a highly-motivated Development and Policy Communications Manager to support Children Now’s fundraising, outreach and policy efforts. This position will be responsible for writing grant proposals and reports and effective email communications, case statements, annual appeal letters, and other messaging materials aimed at cultivating individual and corporate donor support. This position will also contribute to developing fact sheets, research materials, news releases, blogs, social media posts, and other communications across a range of children’s policy issue areas. The Development and Policy Communications Manager will work closely with policy teams to explain complex policy ideas and data in accessible and compelling print and online communications for a variety of audiences, from policymakers, media, advocacy partners and other stakeholders and organizations, the general public and individual, corporate and foundation funders. This position will have a special focus on education issues, including the spectrum of K-12 issues, early learning and development and expanded learning but will also write in support of our health, child welfare and media work as well. This is a full time position, reporting to the Senior Director of Development in our Oakland office.
Ideal applicants have substantial policy-related journalism experience, including excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to translate large amounts of complex policy information into clear and compelling narratives that will resonate with a range of audiences and stakeholders. The ideal applicant is also highly motivated, flexible and solution-oriented and a skilled project manager, who maintains a positive attitude and thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. This position is ideal for an experienced writer, interested in policy and committed to improving the health and education of children in California.
- Under the primary supervision of the Senior Director of Development and with strategic direction from the President and policy and research staff, develop and write a wide range of communications materials including grant proposals and reports, email communications, case statements, annual appeal letters, fact sheets, research materials, news releases, blogs, social media posts, and other communications across a range of children’s policy issue areas;
- Provide ongoing writing support to policy teams by editing and adapting policy content for a range of audiences including foundations and other funders; individual and corporate donors; statewide, regional and local organizations, including business, parent and faith and ethnic based groups; and the general public;
- Support the policy, research and development teams in identifying and capturing strategies to raise awareness of the organization and particular issue areas, with an emphasis on education, and develop messaging materials based on those strategies;
- • Coordinate and help to develop compelling presentation materials including PowerPoint presentations and handouts;
- Assist in developing news releases, op-eds, and other media materials;
- Contribute to the organization’s outreach efforts with a wide range of statewide, regional and local organizations;
- Assist in data gathering and analysis, and conduct literature reviews and research various topics using academic, on-line and other resources;
- Work closely with the marketing, operations and research and policy departments to support the other communications, research and administrative needs of the organization; and
- Conduct other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of three to five years policy-related journalism or other relevant writing experience; magazine writing experience a plus;
- Demonstrated exceptional written communication skill and excellent research, analysis and editing capabilities;
- Highly flexible with a willingness to take on a range of writing assignments and to support the work of multiple teams;
- Excellent relationship-building skills with the ability to manage effective working relationships with colleagues, policymakers, partners, stakeholders, funders, the media and others;
- Substantive knowledge of education and health policy in California preferred;
- Demonstrated high-level skill at project management with highly organized processes and detail orientation;
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in journalism or related field a plus; and
- Knowledge of MS Office with strong word processing, Excel, database, and internet research skills.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
To Apply: Applications must include 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) portfolio of published work and 4) three to five references. Please send and address all correspondence to:
Attn: Development and Policy Communications Manager Search
1404 Franklin Street, Suite 700
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail applications with attachments in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.