Child Health and Disability Prevention Program
Eligibility & Application Information
CHDP provides preventive health assessments to eligible infants, children and youth. Serves not only children with obvious health problems, but also children who seem well.
Who is eligible?
- Children 0 to age 19 (not receiving full-scope Medi-Cal or Healthy Families), with family incomes at or below to 200% FPL*. Applicants are not asked to provide Social Security numbers or immigration status information.
- Children 0 to age 21 (receiving Medi-Cal).
- Children in Head Start and State preschool programs.
What are the benefits?
- Routine physical check-ups.
- Growth and development check; all needed shots; dental, vision and hearing screenings; nutrition check-up; health education; and tests for anemia, blood lead, urine, TB and others as needed.
- Necessary follow-up treatments for medical conditions identified in the CHDP screen.
- Hospitalizations are not covered.
How much does it cost?
All services are provided at no cost.
- Contact the CHDP program in your local health department for more information on how and where to apply, using the Local CHDP Directory website.
- Call the California Department of Health Care Services at 916-445-4171.